Saturday, October 30, 2010

Great Aussie Bush Camp



For the past 3 days I have been on a bush camp trip with 72 out of 80 kids in my grade. Many people were very surprised that in America you can go to camp for a month or two! So we went to this camp where there were lots of harness activities: a 60-ft swing, (you went all the way to the top!) a rock wall, a tree-top climbing course, a curious activity where you stacked crates on top of each other and see how far you can get them (you stood on top of them! I got 11 crates- one of the top scores!) and an amazing activity called 'The Leap of Faith'. This is where you climb up a wobbly pole to 7,8, or 9 meters and jumped off to try and catch a trapeze. I went up the 8 meters, (I'm not afraid of heights, in fact I love them, but the 9 meter pole had a long line.) and when I got to the top I jumped and didn't catch the bar. (wahhh.)
Then there was a raft building challenge followed by a race which was super fun but everyone got really competitive. ("C'mon! We have to beat them!")

Those were the main activities; besides that we went on a mountain hike, then an ocean swim- (only waist-deep... shark breeding areas!) which was super cool.
During one night we played challenge night, where one of the challenges was carrying a 20-cent coin in your butt for 3 meters... awkward much? where my team won... yay! hee hee. The next night we played commando in the bush.

The counsellors were nice and the food was good (most of the counsellors were ex-soldiers!) And one counsellor was nick-named Jesus because of his long hair and beard- I called him 'heh-zoos' the Spanish way of saying it!

-Clare

PS we saw kangaroos all over the place!

No comments:

Post a Comment